Black and white cityscape with 'Acceptable ID List' title.

Acceptable ID list.

What types of identity documents (IDs) are needed to pick up credentials?

During identity proofing, the participant shall be required to provide two forms of identity source documents (IDs) in original form. The below list of acceptable identity documents may be changed at any time due to PIV-I, government or facility requirements.

The identity source documents shall be bound to that participant and shall be neither expired nor canceled.


One of the following forms of identification:

  • Driver’s license or an ID card issued by a state or possession of the United States that is deemed compliant with the Real ID Act of 2005 by the US Department of Homeland Security* DLs and IDs marked with “NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION” will not be accepted, Army will require two photo IDs.
  • U.S. Passport or a U.S. Passport Card
  • Permanent Resident Card or an Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign passport
  • Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  • U.S. Military ID card
  • U.S. Military dependent’s ID card
  • PIV Card

This document may be from the list above, but cannot be of the same type as the primary identity source document. The secondary identity source document may also be one of the following:

  • Identification card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency or entity, provided it contains a photograph and is not marked “NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION” (Example: concealed carry permit)
  • U.S. Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, possession, or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal. Birth Certificates where the last name differs from current ID documents (as in the case of married name) must be accompanied by additional documentation of name change (i.e. marriage certificate).
  • Voter’s registration card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  • Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545), Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350), or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a citizen of the United States of America (Form FS-240)
  • Temporary Resident Card (Form I-688)
  • Employment Authorization Card (Form I-688A)
  • Reentry Permit (Form I-327)
  • Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)
  • Employment authorization document issued by Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
  • Employment Authorization Document issued by DHS with photograph (Form I-688B)
  • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government entity
  • Native American tribal document
  • In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I–94 or Form I–94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form
  • A passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I–94 or Form I–94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI

Some states and territories may provide an official identification document to an individual regardless of that individual’s immigration status. As mandated by some of our government customers, identification documents issued regardless of a person’s immigration status may not be used to prove a person’s identity for RAPIDGate® program purposes.